Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rustic Sea Salt Bars




Salt bars have always been on my "to-make" list, not because I love the way they make my skin feel since I've never tried them, but because they way people talk about them.   Salt bar fans talk about these with a passion!  Where does the passion come from?  I need to know!


I did some reading before diving into the actual making process, and I increased the water ratio because of the high coconut content and sea salt (!).   Those who've made salt bars all stress on the importance of cutting soaps early.  Very early, like 4 hours after pouring early.  






So that's what I did.  I checked on it every hour and cut as soon as I found it hard and solid.  The soaps were still kind of soft and easy to cut, but somehow they always crumbled before I finished the cut.  Why is that?  I understand that soaps crumble when they're too hard to cut, but these were not hard at all...


And have I mentioned they sweated like crazy?  Luckily it only happened during the first few hours and I didn't have to wipe them every 30 minutes for days.   Now I know why some people only make salt bars in the winter!


I think I'll give it a few months before I try my first salt bar.  Should've made an HP salt bar instead!



..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus